Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ownership is Overrated


As a regional facilitator for The New PonyXpress I get to interact with animals substantively towards achieving goals every day. Over time I have learned to place higher value on what they value. In the case of our PonyXpress carriers, the horses, pigeons, salmon, and others it occurred to me early on to always only bring with me what I needed to accomplish my goals and nothing more.

Up until then I was quite certain to carry way too much with me. Metaphorically and literally. I would be loaded down with material goods; books, devices, foods, survival gear which in the end did more to impede my travel than ease it. Being so encumbered slowed me down, made me more possessive and actually caused me to have less - because I grew out of the habit of sharing. It also let me think that I could survive independently from others which is a dangerous illusion. I now take the bare minimum of what I need to be me and accomplish the task at hand, and allow my faith that the right connections will be made as I proceed. Have I turned into a irresponsible drain on the limited resources of those whom I now encounter and seek assistance from?

Quite the opposite. What I have learned as I now travel without the safety net of a bunch of stuff is that I am somehow always equipped with exactly what I need to offer those I come in contact with at just the right moment. We make this valuable exchange; information in exchange for a safe haven night's rest, first aid care for an afternoon meal. Hope for the spiritually depleted in return for a flake of hay for the horse I'm traveling with. It's always something and it's always appropriate to the situation.

My needing to reach out and connect in this way - these exchanges are naturally conceived and carried out to the benefit of all. My load is minimized, my interactions maximized and my spirituality rejuvenated anew with each swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment